Health Charities

Macmillan Cancer

Macmillan Cancer Support
One in three of us will get cancer and it’s the toughest thing most of us will ever face. If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, or a loved one has, you’ll want a team of people in your corner supporting you every step of the way. Macmillan provide practical, medical and financial support and push for better cancer care.

Marie Curie Cancer Care

Marie Curie Cancer Care is a UK charity dedicated to the care of people with terminal cancer and other illnesses. Over the financial year 2010/11, we reached a total of 31,799 patients

Youth Health Talk

Youthhealthtalk enables young people, their family and friends, and professionals such as doctors and teachers to understand young people's experiences of health, illness and life in general. The website feature real-life accounts of issues such as effect on work and education, social life and relationships, consulting health professionals and treatment.

Need to complain?

How do I make a complaint?


If you want to complain about the care that you have received from the Surgery then you need to contact Alison Featherstone or one of the partners preferably by writing to them at The Kirkbymoorside Surgery, Tinley Garth, Kirkbymoorside, York, YO62 6AR. Alison will acknowledge and direct your complaint to the appropriate partner(s).

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily with the person concerned at the time they arise and this may be the approach you try first. However, if you can’t sort your complaint out in this way and wish to make a formal complaint then you should do so as soon as possible after the incident. This helps us to find out what happened more easily. In any event, a complaint should be made:


  • within 12 months of the incident, or
  • within 12 months of you discovering new information about an incident that happened more than 12 months ago


What does the Surgery do when it gets a complaint?


We try to settle complaints as soon as possible. We’ll start by acknowledging receipt of your complaint within three working days of you contacting us to reassure you that something is happening.


We then aim to have looked into your complaint within a further 28 working days. If your complaint is likely to take longer than this then we will let you know. When looking into a complaint we try to see what happened and why, and also see if there is something we can learn to prevent it happening again.


After we have finished looking into your complaint then you will receive a final letter from us. This letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also explain what organisations can help you if you’re not happy with what we have said.


We will keep in touch with you throughout our investigation so that you know what’s happening at every stage.


Complaints Leaflet

Complaint Form

Third Party Complaints Form

What can I do if I’m not happy with your final response?


If you are not happy with our final response then you can get in touch with the Ombudsman. Their contact details are: The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP, tel:  0345 0154033. You can find out more about how the Ombudsman can help at


What if I want to complain about the care someone else has received?


We need to keep to strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. This means that we normally can’t discuss anything about someone else with you unless they give us express permission to do so, and we normally ask for this in writing.


However, if the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident then don’t worry as it may still be possible for you to deal with their complaint. Please contact our practice manager to discuss why you can’t get their written authority together with details of their complaint.


Where can I get some support to make a complaint if I need to?  

If you feel that you cannot raise the complaint directly with us, you can contact the NHS Commissioning Board, PO Box 16738, Redditch. B97 9PT. tele: 0300 311 22 33; email:

Help and advice can also be obtained from ICAS (Independent Complaints Advocacy Service on 0845 120 3734 or from Patient Advice and Liaison Services, (PALS), York District Hospital, Wigginton Road, York, YO31 8HE. Telephone 0800 0688 000.


We hope that you will use our complaints procedure as it gives us the best chance of resolving matters for you.



Who else can help?


The Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service North Yorkshire provides help for people who need assistance to complain about any NHS service, including hospitals, doctors, dentists, pharmacists, ambulances or any other NHS service whether delivered within North Yorkshire or elsewhere at a hospital clinic or in the community. This service is fully independent of the NHS and can help you review the issue that concerns you and help put that into words. We can then help complete any paperwork and make sure that your questions are answered so that services are further improved to meet local needs and priorities.

For more information visit the website

Contact information:

By Post

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service North Yorkshire, Cloverleaf Advocacy, 1 Devonshire Court, Clifton, York, YO30 5PQ

By phone

0300 012 4212

By fax

0300 666012

By email

By enquiry form

Visit their website at





Please note that the NHS Complaints Procedure is not intended to provide financial compensation for any party. If you choose to pursue any claim for compensation, you should contact your solicitor or local Citizen’s Advice bureau. In the event that you take legal action, the NHS Complaints Procedure must cease.


If you have any questions about this leaflet or require this information in an alternative format then please contact the Surgery.



Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website